Monday, August 22, 2005

I'm back

I Love Camp Camp Fire Picnic Table Camp Fire Camper

Well I made it thru a weekend of camping. My idea of roughing it is the Holiday Inn. lol
But i do it for my husband and my kids. It gets them away from the tv and games and everything, and actually get some exercise. We went with our neighbors and and a few friends, all in all there was 15 people there.

Friday we got there right at checkin and started pitching up tents and the screenhouses. Then everyone was starving. Nothing is better than camping then some hamburgers and hotdogs off the grill over a open pit. After that the kids went on trails and did some fishing and came back to enjoy a fire and some made up stories off the top of our heads. With all the fresh air it knocked us out in no time flat.

We were all up at the butt crack of dawn on Saturday and were dissappointed right after breakfast a storm came in and we had to try and make sure that the food and chairs and us did not get wet. Luckily we were under coverage of big trees. The storm came and went, but prevented us from doing much of anything. But at night we roasted marshmellows and watched the bon fire and told stories.

Sunday was a great day, we took the kids to the beach and everyone loved swimming and had a great time. They played some football in the water and tryed to dunk the older people swimming. I did not feel like getting wet so i watched from a safe distance. Luckily my daughter was able to participate by then, she was so upset when she thought that she was not going to be able to go swimming.

After swimming they went fishing and more trail hiking and you name it they did it! By dark everyone was talking, and making stories again, more roasting of the marshmellows. We had most of the park to ourselves so it was awful dark and quiet there.

Today was the day to pack it all up and come home, we had alot to talk about and complain about and trying to figure out how we will do it the next time we go. The only complaint that all of us had was about one man that actually invited himself to go with us. Let me tell you that boy can EAT! We usually let the kids go and eat first then the adults, he had no problem with pushing kids to the side to grab his food. He ate and ate and ate. If it wasn't nailed down it was eaten by this man. Now folks, I am the last person to be writing about a person that over eats because you all know now that i am pleasantly fluffy. lol But man i don't remember a time that i looked at this boy and he was not stuffing his face. So that was one complaint that i think i have covered pretty well....Now the second is the same man has terrible allergies and he did not bring anything with him so he hacked and hacked and hacked...i can understand that butttttttt....he made no efforts in covering his mouth at all. At times he sounded like he was going to puke. He should have made an effort to go to the bathroom.

As long as you looked past those 2 problems everything went well and we all had fun. Now its back to the grindstone tomorrow.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Camping at the Holiday Inn. I'd consider even that to be roughing it. I like the Hampton with the good breakfast.
You are much braver than I. One family camping vacation was more than enough for me. DoF never wanted to take the sons anywhere by himself though. He liked to play with them rather than do any work. I refused to do all the chores without my stove and sink.
Maybe the kids missed out and didn't learn something vital, but good, golly, I hate camping almost as much as I hate painting the garage.
Pre-marital counseling doesn't ask the best kinds of questions.

A grown man eating before the children should never be allowed to come on any other trip, invited or not.
And coughing all over, that's just disgusting.
Kick him in the shins for me.

Monica said...

Sounds like everyone had a good time for the most part. I couldn't tell you the last time I have ever been camping. I was probably like 9. I don't know if I'll ever be brave enough to do it with my kids. You guys are certainly brave! I like taking the all-inclusive vacations where everything is taken care of for you. I guess we are just lazy. Camping is too much work! I'm sure your kids will have memories of these times for the rest of their lives though. Good for you! Your braver than me!!